Starting January 2017, the City will be replacing its 96 Gallon Unlimited Garbage Service with our new 96 Gallon Premium Service. Throughout this past year, we have been analyzing our waste stream and have determined that the Unlimited Service is not working as it was intended. The New Premium Service plan will allow residents with the large 96 gallon cart to dispose of virtually an unlimited amount of non-toxic solid waste typically generated by an average household and will still provide the benefit of disposing of a limited number of large and bulky items, not normally collected by other haulers. The new service will provide:
- Use of up to three 96 gallon garbage carts
- Collection of up to six bulky items per year
- Discounted fee for roll-off dumpsters for home construction/demolition work (by homeowner only, no contractors)
2017 Garbage and Recycling Rates
Premium - $57/Quarter (up to 3, 96-gallon carts)
68-Gallon Cart - $42/quarter (middle size cart)
38-Gallon Cart - $31.50/quarter (smallest cart)
For additional information on dumpster fees, please contact Walters Recycling and Refuse at 763-780-8464. For additional information on other garbage and recycling fees or if you need assistance in determining where to bring items, please visit our Garbage and Recycling Page or contact City of Blaine Recycling Coordinator, Roark Haver at 763-785-6192.
How Can You SAVE Money on Your Garbage Bill?
The best way to save money on your garbage bill, especially households at the Premium Service level, is to recycle as much material as possible in Blaine’s curbside recycling program. These days almost all household waste is recyclable. In Blaine’s curbside recycling
program you can recycle the following items:
- Newspapers, and all inserts
- All magazines and catalogs
- Phone books
- Training manuals
- All mixed mail including envelopes (if it comes in the mail and is paper, you can recycle it!)
- All office and school papers, file folders, fax sheets, notebooks, etc.
- Paperback books
- Corrugated cardboard boxes cut up to fit in recycling cart (or flatten and bundle 3 feet by 3 feet by 1 foot thick, and place 3 feet from the recycling cart)
- Box board (cake, cereal, cracker, tissue, and shoe/shirt boxes)
- Boxes for refrigerated foods
- Brown paper bags
- Aluminum cans
- Tin/steel cans
- Glass bottles and jars (clear, brown, and green)
- Plastic containers and packaging number 1 through 7
- Scrap metal smaller than 30 inches in any direction, and less than 30 pounds
Please do not recycle the following items:
- Plastic bags
- Plastic motor oil bottles
- Boxes for freezer foods
- Pizza boxes
- Any type of used tissue product
Blaine’s curbside recycling program is UNLIMITED, so if you need additional recycling carts to handle all of the recycling material, you can get them AT NO ADDITIONAL COST! That’s right; you can put out as much recycling as possible without an increase in cost. In
fact, it could save you money by allowing you to use a smaller garbage cart.
To get additional recycling carts, call Walters Recycling and Refuse at 763-780-8464. To SAVE money and change your level of garbage service to a smaller container, call the City Utility Billing Department at 763-785-6141.