Could we see winter this weekend? Just in case, here are some snow plowing facts from our Public Works Department.
- Each snowplow route is approximately the same size or takes approximately the same amount of time to plow.
- In most cases plowing will not start until the snow has stopped falling.
- The City has an adequate plowing crew to plow the City in a reasonable amount of time, but does not have back-up crews to re-plow.
- Plowing usually starts at 4:00 AM with most streets being clear by noon. Major events (over six inches) can take considerably longer. The routes are then gone back through for additional sanding.
- In the event of equipment breakdown on any route, that route is finished when other routes are complete and as equipment from those routes becomes available.
- Skating rinks, sidewalks, and trails are a second priority and, in most cases, will be cleared the day following the snow event--after the streets are cleared.